It’s a New Year and time for some fun facts on Orthodontics. The American Association of Orthodontists, or AAO, has come up with some fun facts about orthodontics that we at Braces By Blalock thought you might enjoy.
- Nearly 4 million people are currently undergoing some type of Orthodontic treatment in the U.S. 75% of them are under 18 years of age.
- In the early 1900’s there was no set standards in on which type of materials were used when the first set of braces came into existence. Some dentists used ivory, while others used wood, copper or zinc. The materials that were used were completely dependent upon the dentist‘s personal preference, the patient‘s budget, and what was available in the geographical area at the time.
- The time required to complete orthodontic treatment ranges from 12 to 36 months depending on each patient’s individual needs.
- Of the 160,000 dentists in the United States and Canada, approximately 10,000 are practicing orthodontists.
- The cement that attaches the braces to the teeth is now made with a substance that releases fluoride.
- Wires activated by body heat used in today’s braces were originally developed by NASA engineers for the space program.
- In addition to alleviating or preventing physical health problems, orthodontics can boost self-esteem as treatment aligns teeth, jaws and lips.
- Famous orthodontic patients include: Dr. Joyce Brothers, Faith Hill, Marsha Brady, Cher, Diana Ross, Phyllis Diller, Chelsea Clinton, Whoopi Goldberg, Daisy Fuentes and Tom Cruise.
San Antonio Orthodontist, Dr. Keith Blalock provides quality orthodontics for children, teens, and adults. Contact Braces By Blalock at 210-695-9996 or on the web at www.bracesbyblalock.com